Old Home Page
Curtis Blackwell • 2021.11.08sentimental
My previous home page content feels a little dated, but I feel bad getting rid of it, so I'm keeping it around in the form of a blog post. Here it is.
I'm a software engineer and manager. I aim to maintain a sustainable state of:
- producing high-quality, life-improving work;
- advancing my knowledge and skills;
- leaving things better than I found them; and
- encouraging others to do the same.
I live for work that provides social benefit and revolves around refining operations.
A recent project serves as a perfect example: The Laravel app tracks inventories for a refugee-employing company, helping it operate smoothlier. #2017 #april
It helps the company:
- import product data from a Shopify store,
- assign a bill of materials to each product, and
- create and fulfill production orders.
These features work together to automate changes where possible, like in products' and materials' stocks. The app also sends/receives updates to/from Shopify when appropriate.
In the past, I worked on a coworking space's CMS-powered member/admin dashboard. I planned and built features to:
- manage members' Stripe subscriptions across multiple Stripe accounts (one per location),
- send all Stripe transactions to multiple Xero accounts (one per location),
- allow members to print via Google Cloud Print, charging per-page after using monthly credit, and
- help staff manage guest tours and send half-canned/half-fresh follow-up emails.
In general, I like to try and keep code as DRY as possible (like Thomas Jerome Newton's home-planet dry), without wasting time on diminishing returns.
I have other skills and traits that prove useful all the time:
- understanding of design
- ability to provide constructive, actionable criticism
- confidence to speak bluntly with the tact to know when to tread softly
…and some less often:
- mid-level Korean proficiency
- expert chopstickery
- ability to open doorknobbed doors with my foot